Last modified: 30 Apr 2021 12:34:25 GMT
Indian Institute of Management Bangalore (IIMB) invites applications for the position of Copy Editor, Centre for Teaching and Learning, IIMB from qualified candidates.
Copy Editor, Centre for Teaching and Learning, IIMB
Major Duties and Responsibilities:
The activities of the Copy Editor will include, but not be restricted to:
- Formatting, proof reading or first-level editing of CTL related documents (cases, teaching notes and other articles) to correct grammar, punctuation, spelling and syntax errors.
- Copy editing or substantive editing involving in-depth scrutiny of said documents for focus, coherence, logic, consistency, and flow. Editing of manuscripts to iron out any structural issues, stylistic differences and ambiguities. Reworking of sentences and making suggestions for word choice and rewriting text. Improvement in the clarity and organisation of documents while retaining overall tone. In short, the copy editor will work with the initial material and make it ready for publication.
- Editing documents in keeping with the IIMB-HBPE style guide. Copy editors ensure that articles are written in accordance with the style guide which includes writing standards, such as tense, voice or the spelling of certain words, styles of hyphenation and capitalisation, formatting references, matching in-text citations and references, checking text-illustration consistency, captions, all numbering systems (headings, equations, tables, figures, etc.), standardising the format of quotations/sources, flagging the position of figures, tables, boxes, and so on.
- Generating a style checklist to ensure the style guide is followed; coding manuscripts for design features, such as hierarchy of headings, to instruct the production team
- Maintaining a working knowledge of concepts/ words/ phrases as required for editing
- Checking for plagiarism and copyright issues
- Working with IT-based manuscript submission and tracking systems, databases, editing and publishing systems
- Corresponding with authors to resolve queries and issues, liaising with reviewers, editors, publishers, printers, internal and external stakeholders, others
- Checking and correcting proofs generated by publisher, liaising with authors over proofs
- Facilitating and collaborating with editorial team and case writers in department related tasks and events such as conferences, round table discussions and interviews
- Administrative tasks involved in carrying out duties as copy editor and other departmental duties assigned from time to time.
Education and Experience:
- The candidate at minimum should be a Graduate in English, Journalism, Communication or related field. Graduates in other related disciplines, including Management may also be considered.
- The candidate should have 8 to 12 years of experience in editing.
- Previous experience in academic editing would be an advantage.
- As per institute norms
- The Copy Editor will report to the Chairperson – Centre for Teaching and Learning.
- The Copy Editor will work in collaboration with the other members of the Centre for Teaching and Learning as required.
- Internal - Faculty, Editors, Authors, CTL team, Administration, other Departments, Service providers and others
- External - Authors, Reviewers, Printers, Publishers, Subscribers, Institutions, Vendors, Service providers and others
This position is on contract. Selected candidates should be prepared to take up the assignment immediately. Maximum age limit for being appointed under these Rules will ordinarily not exceed 60 years for Non-teaching staff, subject to discretion from the director.
We could consider a freelance arrangement as well, in accordance with the discretion of the Management
Key Skills / Abilities/Knowledge required: - Thorough command over English language and grammar - Good writing and editing skills; familiarity with publishing protocols - Methodical working style, ability to work to tight deadlines and to multi-task - Ability to be self-motivated, work and correspond independently, and maintain organised and accurate records of work - Strong interpersonal communication skills - oral and written; ability to guide and correspond with authors/ reviewers/ editors according to academic norms - Proficiency in MS Office including Word, Excel and PowerPoint - Good computer skills, understanding and experience of audio, video and web formats - Working knowledge of Microsoft Teams as well as Zoom
Indian Institute of Management Bangalore is a public business school and Institute of National Importance located in Bangalore, India. Founded in 1973, it was the third IIM to be established, after IIM Calcutta and IIM Ahmedaba
Website/Notiifcation URL: Website Or Notification URL
Application End date. 02 May 2021